India is a country with a very vast culture and traditions. Maharashtrian weddings are somewhat simple in rituals to perform. They are not lavish like other marriages. Unlike other marriages, which take place in the night, Maharashtrian marriages are arranged in the early hours of the morning. When the girl and the boy attain the right age to marry, a haunt for the suitable match starts. Sometime, girl and boy already know each other and brief introduction of the families is only needed. Horoscopes of boy and girl are matched; gunas should well match so that the compatibility of the couple is to be seen. After finding the suitable match, ceremony of engagement which is popularly known as ‘Shakar Puda’ is performed. In this ceremony, sweets are exchanged between the both families. This ritual is based on the belief that it fills the sweetness in the new lives. Often, a sari is given to the would-be-bride by the in-laws to mark her acceptance in the family. ‘Kelvan’ is another ceremony which takes place at the house of both bride and groom. The family members and relatives gather and a lavish meal are organized. A puja is performed to please the deity and seek the blessings.
If you are planning to celebrate an Maharashtrian Wedding, you are in the right place. Babylon Productions offers many different kinds of services that will make you wedding perfect! Maharashtrian Wedding Photography, Maharashtrian Wedding Videography, Maharashtrian Wedding DJ Services, Wedding Limo Services, Wedding Invitations, Wedding Cakes, Wedding Florist, Wedding Decor, Live Musicians. Our photographer and videographers are here to make you look your best and show that you are having the most enjoyable day of your life. Babylon Productions are also here to help you get all the stress off you and make us take care of everything you need to do. Book your Maharashtrian Wedding by giving us a call!!
After this ‘haldi ceremony’ takes place. A paste of turmeric is applied on the skin of the bride so that her skin glows. She is made to sit on a wooden table and a blouse piece and a coconut is given to her. Five married women with copper vessels decorated with a coconut and mango leaves filled with holy water take five rounds around the bride and pour water on her. After the bath, her maternal uncle breaks the neem twigs and asks her to go inside the house. This ceremony is performed to ward off evil spirits. Now both boy and girl become ready for the wedding ceremony. When the groom reaches the bride’s house, ‘Seeman puja’ is performed. In it, feet of the groom and his family members are washed by the bride’s parents. The whole venue is decorated with flowers. The groom shows his desire to enter the householder’s life and the priest gives him blessings. Girl reaches with her maternal uncle. Both boy and girl seek the permission of their parents. The family members exchange sweets and greet each other. ‘Kanayadan’ is performed in which girl’s hand is given in the hands of boy and water is poured by the mother.
The groom touches the right shoulder of bride in acceptance. Mangalsutra is tied around the bride’s neck by the groom and she is given sari. She changes her dress. Vivah homa is performed which is associated with performing a havan in front of fire and ghee and water are poured in the fire. ‘Satapati’ is performed after this, groom takes the left hand of the girl with his right hand and they take seven steps. In every step, they step on a heap of rice, which is a symbol for their new lives and vows taken by them. After this blessings of the God are seeked and water in the container is sprinkled in all the directions and on the head of the couple. A feast is organized and meals are served on banana leaves. Grihaparvesh is performed when bride reaches the groom’s home; the mother of the groom washes the couple’s feet with milk. Bride is welcomed in her new house and she is given gifts and jewels. The elders to symbolize the start of a new life, bless her.
For your traditional Maharashtrian wedding ceremony, hire Babylon for all your important wedding needs! Babylon has been servicing weddings in the G T A, and around the world, for over 25 years! We can provide many services, including:
- Our skilled photographers will photograph all of the special moments from your wedding day! They will make sure your precious memories last forever, on beautiful prints of any size you wish! You will be proud to share these quality wedding photos with your loved ones.
- Our expert videographers will capture your entire day, onto film, then edit it to your liking onto a quality DVD production. At Babylon, our videographers consider your wedding video not just a video, but a movie production that will contain special memories meant to be passed down to future generations. Our expert staff can even add a soundtrack of traditional Luhya wedding music, or any romantic ballads you like, making your wedding DVD production even more enjoyable for you and your loved ones!
- We have a large, luxurious selection of limousines available for your wedding transportation needs! Arrive in style in a brand new stretch limousine, or choose from our wide selection of other options. From the classic automobile to the modern sleek and shiny style of limousine, Babylon can provide any style of limousine you wish, so that you can arrive in style and comfort to your wedding!
- Babylon can provide wedding DJs that play your country’s wedding songs, singers that can speak your native tongue, or even live bands that will play traditional wedding music from your country! For any traditional performance you may want at you wedding, simply ask us and we will do our best to provide.
- We can work with you to design your wedding invitations, print them up and even send them to your guests!
Trust the best in the wedding industry. Trust Babylon. Trust the best in the wedding and wedding photography business. Trust Babylon.