Norwegian weddings represent the most festive occasions in country life where the feast may extend to two or three days running. Sometimes a couple chooses to marry on the Midsummer Eve during the annual celebration. This is considered a lucky period of the year and many Norwegian couples look to wed at this time. The couple takes a boat to the area they are expected to light a bonfire. In the past, unmarried girls would usually pick seven different flowers on midsummer night. They then used the flowers to make a nice posy that they put under their pillows so as to dream with the husband fated for them. A traditional marriage ceremony is almost always the choice for couples. During a Norwegian wedding a groom is expected to wear a hand made woolen suit known as a Bunda. The Bunda is adorned with colorful and intricately woven designs. It has a white silk shirt, stockings that are at the calf lengthwise, a vest and topcoat as well as the short pants. The designs that appear on the Bunda are usually unique to the city the groom originates from. The best man too wears a colorful Bunda. The bride wears a silver or white bridal gown and acquires the grace of a queen by wearing a silver or gold crown. The crown is made with spoon like bangles hanging from it. When the bride walks or turns her head the bangles make beautiful sounds that are believed to ward off evil spirits.
The Norwegian wedding abounds with superstition. Subsequent to the nuptial, during the reception the bride is expected to dance vigorously and the bangles tinkle loudly. This is because belief in evil spirits that visit weddings is rife. It is assumed that the brides dancing together and the fact that bridesmaids dress in a similar way to the bride serves to confuse any evil spirits present at the wedding. The wedding cake is cut at the reception and the groom and bride are made to hold the knife together as they cut into it. This act is believed to bring them good luck. The reception is where family members and guests give speeches wishing the new couple good luck. Tables at the reception are decorated with blokaker, which are layers of cake or the brudlauskling cake that is a flour cake decorated a mixture of cream, cheese and syrup. The music played in a Norwegian wedding includes popular tunes for instance, “come to my wedding”. This tune is played before and during the wedding as well as after the wedding is over. At the end of the ceremony the groom and bride exchange silver or gold rings. The round ring has neither beginning nor an end and is used to represent undying love between the couple. They then have the traditional kiss, which symbolically seals their relationship as husband and wife. After they are married neighbors and friends normally plant two small fir trees on either side of the couple’s house as a sign of fertility.
For your traditional Sindhi wedding ceremony, hire Babylon for all your important wedding needs! Babylon has been servicing weddings in the GTA, and around the world, for over 25 years! We can provide many services, including:
- Our skilled photographers will photograph all of the special moments from your wedding day! They will make sure your precious memories last forever, on beautiful prints of any size you wish! You will be proud to share these quality wedding photos with your loved ones.
- Our expert videographers will capture your entire day, onto film, then edit it to your liking onto a quality DVD production. At Babylon, our videographers consider your wedding video not just a video, but a movie production that will contain special memories meant to be passed down to future generations. Our expert staff can even add a soundtrack of traditional Luhya wedding music, or any romantic ballads you like, making your wedding DVD production even more enjoyable for you and your loved ones!
- We have a large, luxurious selection of limousines available for your wedding transportation needs! Arrive in style in a brand new stretch limousine, or choose from our wide selection of other options. From the classic automobile to the modern sleek and shiny style of limousine, Babylon can provide any style of limousine you wish, so that you can arrive in style and comfort to your wedding!
- Babylon can provide wedding DJs that play your country’s wedding songs, singers that can speak your native tongue, or even live bands that will play traditional wedding music from your country! For any traditional performance you may want at you wedding, simply ask us and we will do our best to provide.
- We can work with you to design your wedding invitations, print them up and even send them to your guests!
Also, we can help you choose the right venue for your wedding reception, the bridal boutique closest to you for your wedding dress, and even help you plan the catering! We are also able to provide an all-female staff for the bride’s pictures, if she wishes to have pictures with her covering on or off, our female staff will take special care in photographing and editing the pictures for her. Trust the best in the wedding and wedding photography business. Trust Babylon.