In different Scandinavian societies, horns and fiddlers accompany a nuptial procession to the church. It is the custom in Sweden for parents of the bride to practice an old traditional wedding custom. Prior to the bride leaving for the church the mother gives her a gold coin, which is put in her right shoe. The father gives her a silver coin which is placed in the left shoe. The reason for this tradition is to ensure that their daughter does not lack anything. After exchanging the vows the bride wears three bands on the wedding finger. One is of course the engagement ring, the other a wedding ring while the last is a ring symbolizing motherhood. Scandinavians have the longest engagement periods, which could last up to four years. In Denmark it is traditional to build an arch of pine branches in front of the bride’s home. The arch is called the gate of honor. People going or coming out of the bride’s home would go through the arch and it serves to remind them of the couple’s engagement. It is also symbolic of the groom’s dedication and protection. Prior to the wedding vows, the groom lifts the veil off the bride face. The wedding cake is cut by the couple that is supposed to hold a knife together, a tradition believed to bring them good luck.
After they are married they attend the wedding reception. There the traditional wedding toast called skoal is conducted using specially brewed beer. The married couple opens the dance floor and guests join them. There is much drinking, eating and merrymaking. Both the groom and bride secretly escape from the nuptial reception but at different times. The first to leave is the groom, who disappears during the ceremony so that the young unmarried men can freely kiss the bride. Later the bride also disappears and the groom returns to be kissed by the unmarried girls. In Finland the bride-to-be walks from house to house collecting wedding presents in a pillowcase. An older married man walks her to the houses, holding an umbrella over her head to symbolize protection and shelter. The bride wears a golden crown. At the nuptial reception the bride is blindfolded and spun about while unmarried girls dance around her. This is a period of intense revelry, merrymaking and dancing. While still blindfolded, the bride tries to get hold of the girls dancing around her, though she is not able to see them. Finally, the girl that picks and places the golden crown on her head will have been selected to be the girl that is supposed to marry next. In Norway when a couple marries, neighbors and friends plant two small pines. They are placed on each side of the couple’s front door. This gesture is to signify the couple’s fertility. Norwegian brides wear silver crowns with silver charms that hang all around the crown. When she walks the charms tinkle and produce beautiful sounds that are believed to ward off evil spirits.
For your traditional Sindhi wedding ceremony, hire Babylon for all your important wedding needs! Babylon has been servicing weddings in the GTA, and around the world, for over 25 years! We can provide many services, including:
- Our skilled photographers will photograph all of the special moments from your wedding day! They will make sure your precious memories last forever, on beautiful prints of any size you wish! You will be proud to share these quality wedding photos with your loved ones.
- Our expert videographers will capture your entire day, onto film, then edit it to your liking onto a quality DVD production. At Babylon, our videographers consider your wedding video not just a video, but a movie production that will contain special memories meant to be passed down to future generations. Our expert staff can even add a soundtrack of traditional Luhya wedding music, or any romantic ballads you like, making your wedding DVD production even more enjoyable for you and your loved ones!
- We have a large, luxurious selection of limousines available for your wedding transportation needs! Arrive in style in a brand new stretch limousine, or choose from our wide selection of other options. From the classic automobile to the modern sleek and shiny style of limousine, Babylon can provide any style of limousine you wish, so that you can arrive in style and comfort to your wedding!
- Babylon can provide wedding DJs that play your country’s wedding songs, singers that can speak your native tongue, or even live bands that will play traditional wedding music from your country! For any traditional performance you may want at you wedding, simply ask us and we will do our best to provide.
- We can work with you to design your wedding invitations, print them up and even send them to your guests!
Also, we can help you choose the right venue for your wedding reception, the bridal boutique closest to you for your wedding dress, and even help you plan the catering! Trust the best in the wedding and wedding photography business. Trust Babylon.