Trinidad Wedding Traditions are usually colorful events. Some of the color is usually brought by the wedding traditions that have been carried forward for several generations. In Trinidad, there are different kinds of people who can trace their roots to the Middle East, Africa, China and India. This and the different religions have made the wedding traditions in this Caribbean country diverse. In Trinidad traditional weddings, men are supposed to put on suits with tails at the backside. Another piece of attire that is usually included in men’s clothing is the top hat. These have to be black in color. The rest of the men’s attire includes a white shirt and a bow tie. Women in these weddings usually put on dresses made from satin mostly in white but one can choose another color if they so wish. It is customary for Trinidad weddings to have processional that include the best man and the flower girls as well. This is not very different from Toronto weddings. In Trinidad Christian weddings, after saying the vows, the couple and their guests go to a different location for a grand party. On their way to the party venue, guests take part in traditional dances such as the shuffle on the streets. At the reception party, the guests are usually served with the traditional wedding favorites, which are dumplings and crab. The wedding cake is usually brought to the reception venue on top of the head of a wedding guest. The cake, which is usually black in color, is wrapped in a mosquito net as traditions demand. There is usually more dancing and dances such as the reel, the quadrille and the jig, which are the most common.
Unlike Toronto weddings, in Trinidad Hindu weddings, the groom usually dresses in a four piece Indian suit that has beads and embroidery while the bride usually dresses in an Indian ‘Mehendi’. Indian weddings include Hindu religious wedding ceremony followed by a reception. There is also much dancing in Hindu Trinidad wedding ceremonies. In Trinidad, the religious part of the Muslim wedding ceremony is usually held during the day in the presence of a few family members. The highlight of the wedding is the reception, which is usually held at night. Trinidad Muslim brides usually put on lehengas or ‘ghararas’ during the ceremonies. Some brides choose to put on the western styled wedding dresses, just like in Toronto nuptial events. The grooms in these weddings can go for a western styled suit as well. Much dancing goes on in the ceremony, especially at the reception. A Trinidad wedding cannot be complete if there is no giving of wedding favors. It is customary for wedding guests to give the bride and groom wedding favors. The favors can be in terms of money or physical gifts. Another tradition similar to Toronto weddings is giving of speeches. The parents of the bride and groom and any other relevant person usually give the speeches. Another wedding tradition that many couples take part in is stopping at the country’s botanical gardens. The couple and their guests take photos, which is another tradition, at the gardens.
For your traditional Trinidadian wedding ceremony, hire Babylon for all your important wedding needs! Babylon has been servicing weddings in the GTA, and around the world, for over 25 years! We can provide many services, including:
- Our skilled photographers will photograph all of the special moments from your wedding day! They will make sure your precious memories last forever, on beautiful prints of any size you wish! You will be proud to share these quality wedding photos with your loved ones.
- Our expert videographers will capture your entire day, onto film, then edit it to your liking onto a quality DVD production. At Babylon, our videographers consider your wedding video not just a video, but a movie production that will contain special memories meant to be passed down to future generations. Our expert staff can even add a soundtrack of traditional Luhya wedding music, or any romantic ballads you like, making your wedding DVD production even more enjoyable for you and your loved ones!
- We have a large, luxurious selection of limousines available for your wedding transportation needs! Arrive in style in a brand new stretch limousine, or choose from our wide selection of other options. From the classic automobile to the modern sleek and shiny style of limousine, Babylon can provide any style of limousine you wish, so that you can arrive in style and comfort to your wedding!
- Babylon can provide wedding DJs that play your country’s wedding songs, singers that can speak your native tongue, or even live bands that will play traditional wedding music from your country! For any traditional performance you may want at you wedding, simply ask us and we will do our best to provide.
- We can work with you to design your wedding invitations, print them up and even send them to your guests!
Also, we can help you choose the right venue for your wedding reception, the bridal boutique closest to you for your wedding dress, and even help you plan the catering! We are also able to provide an all-female staff for the bride’s pictures, if she wishes to have pictures with her covering on or off, our female staff will take special care in photographing and editing the pictures for her. Trust the best in the wedding and wedding photography business. Trust Babylon.