Ladakh is a region located in the state of Jammu and Kashmir, which is controlled by India, between the Kunlun mountain range in the north, and the main great Himalayas to the south. It is populated by people of Indo/Aryan and ethnic Tibetan descent, and is one of the most sparsely populated regions in the area. Galicnik, which extends on the falls of mount Bistra is found 110 km away from the capital city of Macedonia. The most renowned event in this village is Galička Svadba, a traditional Ladakh wedding custom, held every year in July on St. Peter’s day. There is a village feast held, and while the wedding is taking place, the men will dance the “Teškoto” (the ‘heavy’ or ‘hard’) – a dance that symbolizes difficulties being overcome. The traditional Ladakh wedding symbolizes new beginnings, and they follow Ladakh wedding customs to show the respect for the culture and the Ladakh wedding traditions as well. Ladhak marriage provides a great occasion to gather the community and relatives together for frivolity and fun. The ceremony lasts for at least a couple of days, and the marriage is conducted with great enthusiasm. It presents a mix of traditional Ladakh wedding customs, and gaiety and happiness mixed in with community togetherness.
If you are planning to celebrate an Ladhaki Wedding, you are in the right place. Babylon Productions offers many different kinds of services that will make you wedding perfect! Ladhaki Wedding Photography, Ladhaki Wedding Videography, Ladhaki Wedding DJ Services, Wedding Limo Services, Wedding Invitations, Wedding Cakes, Wedding Florist, Wedding Decor, Live Musicians. Our photographer and videographers are here to make you look your best and show that you are having the most enjoyable day of your life. Babylon Productions are also here to help you get all the stress off you and make us take care of everything you need to do. Book your Ladhaki Wedding by giving us a call!!
A marriage proposal comes from the boy’s side. Marriages are usually initiated by the boy’s parents when he is around 20 years of age, but the girl is generally two to four years younger than the boy. To make a proposal, a relative goes to the house of bride. If the proposal is accepted, ‘ lamas’ are consulted to select a good date for them to marry. Also, the date of the girl and the boy’s birth is very important, to determine if the match is appropriate. Relatives or family members of the boy give a ring, butter, tea and chang to the girl. If the gifts are accepted, then marriage follows the next month. The boy offers a nice necklace and clothes to the girl. Clothes, animals and land are given to the couple by the girl’s parents. These gifts are known as dowry or ‘raqtqaq’. The bride goes to live with in the groom’s house.
The main feature of this wedding is the recitation of long narratives. Traditional Ladakh marriage songs are sung by the wedding party, led by a leader. Unique costumes which are especially made for the ceremonies are worn by the singers. Jabro dance form is peculiar to Chang-thang and Rong areas of Ladakh region. This dance is performed by the males and females facing each other forming rows and circles. They dance leaping hand in hand, forwards and backwards, reciting melodious songs. Another popular dance is ‘Alley zate’ which is basically the dance of shepherds of Zanskar area of Ladakh region. It is a combination of poetry and dance. The Ladakhi marriage dance Bagstonrches continues for weeks during the marriage ceremonies. The bride and bridegroom also join in. The dances are usually performed in tune with the songs. Surna and Damman are played with these dances. The bride and groom are dressed in their traditional attires. Ladakhi women wear an ornament called sondus or brasshill which is a symbol of marriage, and an extraordinary head dress called perak which has up to 200 large turquoise and other stones set in it across wide leather pieces. It begins below the forehead and goes till the waist.
A special wedding meal consists of pava which is prepared by boiling peas and barley flour in water until the peas are hard. Skir is another dish which is like a hotpot of meat, potatoes, grain and some vegetables. Gyatug is a dish of long vermicelli like strips of tsampa over which minced meat and flavored sauce is poured. The community feast is the part of the ceremony where relatives and neighbors join to be the part of celebration. Blessing of the ‘lamas’ and monks are also taken on the marriage.
For your traditional Ladhaki wedding ceremony, hire Babylon for all your important wedding needs! Babylon has been servicing weddings in the G T A, and around the world, for over 25 years! We can provide many services, including:
- Our skilled photographers will photograph all of the special moments from your wedding day! They will make sure your precious memories last forever, on beautiful prints of any size you wish! You will be proud to share these quality wedding photos with your loved ones.
- Our expert videographers will capture your entire day, onto film, then edit it to your liking onto a quality DVD production. At Babylon, our videographers consider your wedding video not just a video, but a movie production that will contain special memories meant to be passed down to future generations. Our expert staff can even add a soundtrack of traditional Luhya wedding music, or any romantic ballads you like, making your wedding DVD production even more enjoyable for you and your loved ones!
- We have a large, luxurious selection of limousines available for your wedding transportation needs! Arrive in style in a brand new stretch limousine, or choose from our wide selection of other options. From the classic automobile to the modern sleek and shiny style of limousine, Babylon can provide any style of limousine you wish, so that you can arrive in style and comfort to your wedding!
- Babylon can provide wedding DJs that play your country’s wedding songs, singers that can speak your native tongue, or even live bands that will play traditional wedding music from your country! For any traditional performance you may want at you wedding, simply ask us and we will do our best to provide.
- We can work with you to design your wedding invitations, print them up and even send them to your guests!
|Trust the best in the wedding industry. Trust Babylon. Trust the best in the wedding and wedding photography business. Trust Babylon.