Vietnamese Wedding traditions are still upheld in many parts of the world and Vietnam is not an exception. In Vietnam, apart from the traditions being distinguished, they are also very delicate. The parents arrange most Vietnamese weddings. The engagement of a Vietnamese couple takes place six months prior to the ceremony. The bride and groom’s first meeting takes place during the engagement they are not supposed to meet each other prior to this. The couple’s parents, under the guidance of a spiritual leader, Buddhist monk, or fortuneteller, set the wedding date.
The bride’s dress is the ‘Ao dai’ gown for the ceremony, which usually comes in pink or red. Along with the gown also comes a Khan dong headdress. The attire of the groom is similar to that of the brides but it is the male version, has a simpler design and comes in a blue hue. Prior to the wedding, the groom accompanied by his family visits the family of the bride carrying lacquered, round boxes; betrothal presents. The presents include betel leaves, areca nuts, wines, fruits, cake and tea and so on. Unmarried boys and girls carry the gift covered using red cloth. Three ceremonies are held on the wedding day. The first is to ask for the bride’s hand in marriage. The mother of the groom and other relatives go to the woman’s home and officially asks to receive the bride and tell them what time the groom’s procession will be coming. The mother bears pink chalk to paint a good future and betel nuts, which are a symbol of respect.
Two other ceremonies take place at the homes of the groom and bride successively. After the mother visits the groom then goes to the bride’s home accompanied by relatives carrying leather trunks in pink satin that contain different gifts. The trunks are usually numbered six or eight; seven and nine are unacceptable numbers as they are seen as bad luck numbers. Upon getting to the bride’s house, the groom’s relatives light firecrackers to announce their arrival. The bride’s family also reciprocates with a series of firecrackers. Introductions of the two families then take place. The groom then produces an entrance fee in a red envelope along with the gifts. The bride is then brought out and her groom is allowed to greet her. The family of the bride along with that of the groom then proceeds to the groom’s home. Customarily, the bride is supposed to walk over hot coals prior to stepping into the groom’s house; a symbol of shunning evil spirits. During the ceremony, guests are served with beverages like tea and all the relevant wedding rites are performed in a southerly direction. Cooked red rice, incense sticks and boiled chicken are put before the people and the Priest is then invited to initiate sacred rituals. The priest prays for blessings for the couple from God and then binds them using red thread entwined round the altar after which the bride and groom are declared married. The reception of the wedding consists of a gala feast, where guests are treated to rice and chicken dishes, as well as many other traditional Vietnamese dishes.
For your traditional Sindhi wedding ceremony, hire Babylon for all your important wedding needs! Babylon has been servicing weddings in the GTA, and around the world, for over 25 years! We can provide many services, including:
- Our skilled photographers will photograph all of the special moments from your wedding day! They will make sure your precious memories last forever, on beautiful prints of any size you wish! You will be proud to share these quality wedding photos with your loved ones.
- Our expert videographers will capture your entire day, onto film, then edit it to your liking onto a quality DVD production. At Babylon, our videographers consider your wedding video not just a video, but a movie production that will contain special memories meant to be passed down to future generations. Our expert staff can even add a soundtrack of traditional Luhya wedding music, or any romantic ballads you like, making your wedding DVD production even more enjoyable for you and your loved ones!
- We have a large, luxurious selection of limousines available for your wedding transportation needs! Arrive in style in a brand new stretch limousine, or choose from our wide selection of other options. From the classic automobile to the modern sleek and shiny style of limousine, Babylon can provide any style of limousine you wish, so that you can arrive in style and comfort to your wedding!
- Babylon can provide wedding DJs that play your country’s wedding songs, singers that can speak your native tongue, or even live bands that will play traditional wedding music from your country! For any traditional performance you may want at you wedding, simply ask us and we will do our best to provide.
- We can work with you to design your wedding invitations, print them up and even send them to your guests!
Also, we can help you choose the right venue for your wedding reception, the bridal boutique closest to you for your wedding dress, and even help you plan the catering! Trust the best in the wedding and wedding photography business. Trust Babylon.