In the Muslim world, marriage customs and traditions vary as much as the colors in a rainbow. All retain the Islamic obligatory acts, which make a marriage valid and include other practices, which are individual to their surrounding cultures. Here are customs from some parts of the Muslim world. Please note: not all Muslim marriage customs are necessarily in line with Islamic values.
If you are planning to celebrate an Muslim Wedding, you are in the right place. Babylon Productions offers many different kinds of services that will make you wedding perfect! Muslim Wedding Photography, Muslim Wedding Videography, Muslim Wedding DJ Services, Wedding Limo Services, Wedding Invitations,Wedding Cakes, Wedding Florist, Wedding Decor, Live Musicians. Our photographer and videographers are here to make you look your best and show that you are having the most enjoyable day of your life. Babylon Productions are also here to help you get all the stress off you and make us take care of everything you need to do. Book your Muslim Wedding by giving us a call!!
Here are customs from some parts of the Muslim world. Please note: not all Muslim marriage customs are necessarily in line with Islamic values.
India and Pakistan
In the Indian subcontinent, a marriage is reserved to three days of customs and traditions. The Mehndi is the event where you put henna on the bride and groom’s hands. Marked by traditional songs and dances, it sometimes extends to two days – one day over at the groom’s place to put henna on his hand and the second day over at the bride’s house to put henna on hers. The actual Nikah is called a Shadi, which is traditionally done by the bride’s side. This is the signing of official paperwork in the presence of an Imam. After signing these papers and doing some religious ceremony, the couple is declared husband and wife. To celebrate, guests eat of the many lavish dishes that are served. To announce the marriage officially the Walima takes place as a feast given by the groom’s family. Both husband and wife welcome the guests and mingle with them while people eat dinner.
The United Arab Emirates (UAE)
As a tradition in the UAE, the setting of the wedding date marks the beginning of the bride’s preparation for her wedding. Although the groom is also put through a series of preparations, the bride’s are more elaborate and time consuming. She is lavished with all sorts of traditional oils and perfumes from head to toe. Traditionally, she is not seen for forty days by anyone except for family members as she rests at home in preparation for her wedding day. During the week that precedes the wedding, traditional music, continuous singing and dancing take place, reflecting the joy shared by the bride and the groom’s families. Laylat Al Henna (literally, the night of the henna), which takes place a few days before, is very special night for the bride, since it is a ladies’ night only.
On this night, the bride’s hands and feet are decorated with henna. The back-to-back feasts and celebrations involve both men and women who usually celebrate separately.
Egypt has been exposed to many civilizations, such as the Greek, Roman and Islamic ones. The marriage customs of Egyptians make it easy for a couple to get to know one another, for the families meet often. It starts by the suitor’s parents visiting his fiancee’s house to get her family approval to complete the marriage and reaching an agreement, which contains two main items: an amount of money, called Mahr, paid by the suitor to his fiancee?s family to help them prepare the furniture of their daughter and a valuable jewelry gift, called Shabka, given by the suitor to his fiancée. The value of this gift depends on the financial and social levels of the suitor’s family. When the two parties complete the agreement, they fix an appointed date for the engagement party. When the house of the new family becomes ready, the two families fix a date for the wedding party. The night before wedding day, the relatives, friends and neighbors get together to celebrate “the Henna Night”. The next day, the marriage contract is signed and registered. After sunset, the wedding party starts and the couple wears their best dresses and jewelry.
In the Malaysian tradition, the bride and groom are treated as “king and queen for a day”. During the betrothal, the pre-wedding meeting between the bride and the groom’s parents, the dowry that will be given to the bride is determined as well as the date of the solemnization. he berinai (henna application) ceremony is held prior to the wedding. The bride’s palms and feet are ‘decorated’ with the dye from the henna leaves. Akad Nikah, which is the signing of the contract, is normally presided over by a Kadhi, a religious official of the Syariat (Shariat) Court. A small sum of money called the Mas Kahwin seals the contract. The recent trend is to hold the solemnization in the mosque as was performed during the Prophet Muhammad’s (peace and blessings be upon him) time.
In the tradition of Singapore, the Mak Andam (beautician) as well as members of the bride’s family will waylay the groom and ask for an entrance fee after the bride is ready. Only when they are satisfied with the amount would they allow the groom to see his bride. After successfully overcoming the ‘obstacles’, the marriage ceremonies take place. Relatives sprinkle petals and rice (fertility symbols) on the couple seated on the ‘throne’.
For your traditional Muslim wedding ceremony, hire Babylon for all your important wedding needs! Babylon has been servicing weddings in the G T A, and around the world, for over 25 years! We can provide many services, including:
- Our skilled photographers will photograph all of the special moments from your wedding day! They will make sure your precious memories last forever, on beautiful prints of any size you wish! You will be proud to share these quality wedding photos with your loved ones.
- Our expert videographers will capture your entire day, onto film, then edit it to your liking onto a quality DVD production. At Babylon, our videographers consider your wedding video not just a video, but a movie production that will contain special memories meant to be passed down to future generations. Our expert staff can even add a soundtrack of traditional Luhya wedding music, or any romantic ballads you like, making your wedding DVD production even more enjoyable for you and your loved ones!
- We have a large, luxurious selection of limousines available for your wedding transportation needs! Arrive in style in a brand new stretch limousine, or choose from our wide selection of other options. From the classic automobile to the modern sleek and shiny style of limousine, Babylon can provide any style of limousine you wish, so that you can arrive in style and comfort to your wedding!
- Babylon can provide wedding DJs that play your country’s wedding songs, singers that can speak your native tongue, or even live bands that will play traditional wedding music from your country! For any traditional performance you may want at you wedding, simply ask us and we will do our best to provide.
- We can work with you to design your wedding invitations, print them up and even send them to your guests!
Trust the best in the wedding industry. Trust Babylon. Trust the best in the wedding and wedding photography business. Trust Babylon.