Romanian Weddings are among the most interesting and enjoyable family occasions. Weddings are also among the only remaining ceremonies, where the old traditions in marriages have largely remained and stood the test of time. In all cultures all over the world, these ceremonies have continued to reflect the unique identities of the cultures they are carried out in. Traditions are reflected in all forms and include a mix of law, economic, ritual and folklore overtones. These ceremonial and ritualistic traditions are meant to bring happiness, prosperity and social integration to not only the married couples but to the entire community. Romanian nuptial celebrations are not different in these respects. These ceremonies have nevertheless remained intact in a number of locations across Romania. Romanian weddings however show some differences depending on their location. Consider a number of locations that have still carried on with these traditions.
In Moldova, the ceremony is full of culture and a sense of togetherness. These celebrations usually last the entire length of the night. Dancing continues all night long and in the morning the bride is given a baby to hold. This is supposed to signify babies that the couple is expected to have. After that the couple is showered with grains wishing them prosperity in their new life. In Maramures, the wedding is laden with numerous rituals and preparations. However, the ceremony is generally simple.
Usually, a trusted friend to the groom is sent to the bride’s family on behalf of the bridegroom to ask her hand in marriage. An affirmative answer is generally given after the 3rd visit after which, the dowry is discussed and the engagement date set. Detailed attention is paid to the dressing; table arrangements and the necessary orders are also carefully organized. A night before the wedding, musicians and lads visit the groom’s house and perform a ‘flag dance’. The bride’s and the bridegroom’s clothing are also carefully selected. The bride is expected to wear white and the groom to have simple clothing with sewn cuffs as the only decoration. He also wears large pants and a simple white shirt that is made of hemp.
Weddings in Maramures tend to have symbolic values and are generally simple. All the steps of the nuptial are all symbolically from the wedding place to the way of dressing. When the groom arrives at the bride’s home to pick his future wife, a godfather and a party of people accompany him. The mother-in-law washes the cheeks of the groom and also those of the bride when she comes to the bridegroom’s house. This is a sign of acceptance that she has been accepted into the new family. In Transylvania, the bridegroom is expected to pass a test to prove he is worthy to be considered part of the accepted community. The bride on the other hand is expected to change her hairstyle and cover her head with a headscarf. The scarf represents or symbolic of married women. In all these locations, the entire wedding ceremony lasts for 3 days with the final day ending with the ‘dance of masks.’
For your traditional Sindhi wedding ceremony, hire Babylon for all your important wedding needs! Babylon has been servicing weddings in the GTA, and around the world, for over 25 years! We can provide many services, including:
- Our skilled photographers will photograph all of the special moments from your wedding day! They will make sure your precious memories last forever, on beautiful prints of any size you wish! You will be proud to share these quality wedding photos with your loved ones.
- Our expert videographers will capture your entire day, onto film, then edit it to your liking onto a quality DVD production. At Babylon, our videographers consider your wedding video not just a video, but a movie production that will contain special memories meant to be passed down to future generations. Our expert staff can even add a soundtrack of traditional Luhya wedding music, or any romantic ballads you like, making your wedding DVD production even more enjoyable for you and your loved ones!
- We have a large, luxurious selection of limousines available for your wedding transportation needs! Arrive in style in a brand new stretch limousine, or choose from our wide selection of other options. From the classic automobile to the modern sleek and shiny style of limousine, Babylon can provide any style of limousine you wish, so that you can arrive in style and comfort to your wedding!
- Babylon can provide wedding DJs that play your country’s wedding songs, singers that can speak your native tongue, or even live bands that will play traditional wedding music from your country! For any traditional performance you may want at you wedding, simply ask us and we will do our best to provide.
- We can work with you to design your wedding invitations, print them up and even send them to your guests!
Also, we can help you choose the right venue for your wedding reception, the bridal boutique closest to you for your wedding dress, and even help you plan the catering!
We are also able to provide an all-female staff for the bride’s pictures, if she wishes to have pictures with her covering on or off, our female staff will take special care in photographing and editing the pictures for her. Trust the best in the wedding and wedding photography business. Trust Babylon.