There are numerous traditions in the world that may be similar no matter the occasion that is being conducted. In the case of a wedding, there is a bride and a groom and one must initiate the ceremony to begin. In Puerto Rico, the tradition is the same but with little twist and turns to some particular areas of interest. A priest performing a traditional Puerto Rican wedding nuptial conducts the wedding in the church. The priest firstly blesses a plate of coins and gives these coins to the groom. The groom holds on to these coins up to the time the vows are exchanged after which the coins are handed over to the bride. The bride keeps these coins as gifts from her husband and as a sign of prosperity and good luck for the newly wed couple. The bridal bouquet presents an abundant collection with the amapola, a traditional flower that is most of the time used at a Puerto Rican wedding. When the ceremony is proceeding, the soft strains of coqui, a traditional piece of music can be heard filling the air.
When it comes to the reception, it is customary for a doll to be placed at the head of the main table. This doll is dressed like the bride. Guests are given this doll mainly covered in charms, additionally; ‘copias’ are passed out to invited guests as gifts. Ribbons that are engraved with the names of the bride and groom on one side and the date of their wedding on the other are also given to the guests. The cake at the reception is decorated by using seashells and is most often than not the cake has a distinct pineapple, coconut or rum flavor.
The food at these weddings is delicious accompanied by music that serves to enhance a joyous mood and character. The bride and groom have the option of choosing a traditional dance known as a ‘danza criolla’, which is a type of waltz. Centerpieces that are made from palm trees that also utilize ‘abeto’ ferns and are decorated with shells can also be found in a Puerto Rican marriage ceremony. Candles are also a popular decoration in this type of wedding. During the ceremony, there is the offering of a beverage, which is known as café con leche served in coconut cups and it is given or offered to the groom and the bride. The wedding party of a nuptial in Puerto Rico is usually held at the bride’s home. There are lights that are placed around to illuminate the venue giving it a bright and attractive setting. Then the groom and his bride are dressed in costumes that are essentially traditional and this is mainly just before the traditional food is served. In traditional Puerto Rican customs, bouquet included fans, which were a part of attire meant for women. There were different colors that matched with the attire and were worn by wealthy women. The bride’s maids wore them during a marriage ceremony.
For your traditional Sindhi wedding ceremony, hire Babylon for all your important wedding needs! Babylon has been servicing weddings in the GTA, and around the world, for over 25 years! We can provide many services, including:
- Our skilled photographers will photograph all of the special moments from your wedding day! They will make sure your precious memories last forever, on beautiful prints of any size you wish! You will be proud to share these quality wedding photos with your loved ones.
- Our expert videographers will capture your entire day, onto film, then edit it to your liking onto a quality DVD production. At Babylon, our videographers consider your wedding video not just a video, but a movie production that will contain special memories meant to be passed down to future generations. Our expert staff can even add a soundtrack of traditional Luhya wedding music, or any romantic ballads you like, making your wedding DVD production even more enjoyable for you and your loved ones!
- We have a large, luxurious selection of limousines available for your wedding transportation needs! Arrive in style in a brand new stretch limousine, or choose from our wide selection of other options. From the classic automobile to the modern sleek and shiny style of limousine, Babylon can provide any style of limousine you wish, so that you can arrive in style and comfort to your wedding!
- Babylon can provide wedding DJs that play your country’s wedding songs, singers that can speak your native tongue, or even live bands that will play traditional wedding music from your country! For any traditional performance you may want at you wedding, simply ask us and we will do our best to provide.
- We can work with you to design your wedding invitations, print them up and even send them to your guests!
Also, we can help you choose the right venue for your wedding reception, the bridal boutique closest to you for your wedding dress, and even help you plan the catering! We are also able to provide an all-female staff for the bride’s pictures, if she wishes to have pictures with her covering on or off, our female staff will take special care in photographing and editing the pictures for her. Trust the best in the wedding and wedding photography business. Trust Babylon.